Car accidents are traumatic events, regardless of the severity of the injuries or the ferocity of the collision. It is important not to panic and to think as clearly as the situation allows, as the information you are able to compile in the aftermath of a car accident is all important, making the process far more simple for car accident solicitors to win you the compensation you are entitled to.
By explaining how to make a claim after an accident, hopefully, if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision, you will have the wherewithal to secure the information that car accident solicitor need to make a successful whiplash claim.
Here’s what you should do:
- Let’s start with the obvious – make sure you have all of the third party’s relevant details. If another driver was involved in the accident then you will need their name, driving license number, license plate number and contact information as well as the details of their insurer.
- If there are any witnesses present, and there won’t always be, make sure you take their contact information. Witnesses make the job of a solicitor much more straightforward, as a corroboration of your story makes the process of apportioning blame much less of a headache.
- The camera never lies they say, and in this case they’re quite right. A few quick snaps on your mobile phone will help to show the damage done to your vehicle. It is also a good idea to photograph the other party’s car, even if there doesn’t appear to be any real damage.
- Call the police even if the accident is not all that severe. The local constabulary will create a police report at the scene which can be of great assistance to car accident solicitors. Ask the officer in question for a copy of the report, as this will add further strengthen any subsequent compensation claim.
- Call your insurance company immediately after an accident to make them aware a collision has taken place. Some companies choose to send a crash appraiser to the scene, in such case you should wait with your vehicle until they arrive to explain the details of the crash.
- When you do inform your insurer, a claim number will be generated immediately for their records. Make sure you take down this reference number as it can be used to check the status of your claim.